Puppy's mum says: Crossing the Rainbow Bridge

How might Puppy's Mum be able to help you?

Pharaoh Hound Information
http://www.facebook.com/platform

Do you have a dog, and have questions about how to keep your dog happy? Is your new puppy having trouble settling in? Are you looking for a new puppy and aren't sure where to look?

I would love to help you with any of these issues, and more. My husband and I have bred many puppies over the last twenty years, and every puppy born at our home is important to us. Whether the puppy became a show dog or a much loved pet, it always remained 'our' puppy to some extent. We always cared about the wellbeing of that puppy.

I would love to be there for you too, if you have a new dog or pup, or if you're thinking of getting one, I would love to help you make the right choices for yourself, your family and for your puppy or dog.

Ask a question on this website, or make a comment. I'll answer you, I am here for you.


Jul 18, 2009

Crossing the Rainbow Bridge

If you have an older dog, sometimes, most times, it's up to you to decide when enough is enough. It is sometimes up to people to decide whether it is time for their pet to cross the Rainbow Bridge.

It's not an easy decision, in fact it can be the hardest decision you have ever made. But this is one decision that must be made, for the good of your pet. Different dogs, and different breeds of dogs, age at different rates.

A Bullmastiff is old at ten and if your Bullmastiff makes it past the age of thirteen, it is very rare indeed. Some terriers routinely make it past the age of fifteen or sixteen, staying feisty all the way through.

Our two breeds are Standard Schnauzers and Pharaoh Hounds. Schnauzers have been known to make it to seventeen, but that is relatively rare. Fourteen or fifteen is the usual life span for a Standard Schnauzer. Pharaoh Hounds begin to go grey at about eight or nine, and usually live for up to another three or four years after that.

The reason for this post is that I was sure, last night, that Rangler, our oldest Schnauzer, was not going to be with us for more than a few days longer. She has had three fits in the past couple of days. Short fits, lasting a couple of minutes, and leaving her unsteady on her feet afterwards.

Rangler has been an excellent show dog and a very good mother. For the past seven or eight years she has been a desexed pet, being aunty to puppies other of our girls have had. She is now thirteen or fourteen, born on the fourth of July, and she is losing her sight.

Because it is winter in South Australia where we live, I haven't clipped Rangler's coat and she is a little unkempt looking. My husband and I have decided she is going to the vet tomorrow, maybe for the last time ever, so I put her up on the grooming table and tidied her up a bit, by clipping her head and bottom. I trimmed her eyebrows right back, and when I put her down on the ground, she looked around the yard, and at me, as if to say, "no, I'm not blind, I can see you."

Now, she's been in the sun in the backyard for most of the day and she seems to be enjoying herself. I'm not so convinced this trip to the vet is going to be a one way trip for her. We have to talk to the vet and see what he says. I know that if he says there's nothing he can do for the fits, she won't be coming home again. It is distressing for us to see, and it seems distressing for Rangler too.

It is one of those decisions pet owners have to be prepared to do, for their pet's sake, and for their own sake too.


If this is going to be the end, I say "Thank You Rangler" for all of the fun you have brought us.

No comments: