Puppy's mum says: My Role as Puppy's Mum

How might Puppy's Mum be able to help you?

Pharaoh Hound Information
http://www.facebook.com/platform

Do you have a dog, and have questions about how to keep your dog happy? Is your new puppy having trouble settling in? Are you looking for a new puppy and aren't sure where to look?

I would love to help you with any of these issues, and more. My husband and I have bred many puppies over the last twenty years, and every puppy born at our home is important to us. Whether the puppy became a show dog or a much loved pet, it always remained 'our' puppy to some extent. We always cared about the wellbeing of that puppy.

I would love to be there for you too, if you have a new dog or pup, or if you're thinking of getting one, I would love to help you make the right choices for yourself, your family and for your puppy or dog.

Ask a question on this website, or make a comment. I'll answer you, I am here for you.


Oct 22, 2009

My Role as Puppy's Mum

I took on the title of Puppy's Mum, well before I was ever a real mother, you know, the kind who cares for a real honest-to-goodness live human child. Up until I was about 26 or so I was going to just go on breeding dogs and have a new litter of puppies in the house to look after every year.

I love puppies and I used to run a mile if you showed me a human baby. Then my hormones or whatever kicked in, and I suddenly knew I had to have my own child. This is the trick Mother Nature plays on us to continue our species.

So anyway, that was about 18 years ago, and now I have five dogs and one human child. I have written a funny little piece about why puppies are better than kids - see it here

Of course lots of things get said and written in humour and they aren't necessarily the perfect truth, but my 11 reasons why dogs are better than kids rings true with many people, at least one or two of the reasons will get a smile and knowing nod.

I have the eleven reasons printed in the back of the book I wrote - 'Dig It! Gardening Tips for Dogs'. If you want to know more about how dogs garden, have a look at this site. There are details on how to get a copy of the book.

My now sixteen year old son loves dogs, but he thinks dog showing is stupid. He says it with that air of conviction that teenagers have sometimes, and I can't help but agree with him. It does seem stupid, but if you have a rare breed, as we do, you have to get your dogs out there where the public can see them.

Anyway, I have many years of being Puppy's Mum and now sixteen years of being a proper mother and I feel that all gives me some authority to make pronouncements, or at least offer some advice on matters related to puppies, dogs or children.

It's fun to be an expert, and have people come to you for advice, but it's also a big responsibility. I realise that and always give my answers proper consideration. Some people seem unable to do such a thing for themselves, and when young creatures, human or otherwise, are involved, the emotions get in the way of proper consideration. A cool head can calm down the stress and find the best solution.

Keeping your sense of humour can assist in keeping a cool head. And if you are stressing out, ask yourself, "What is the worst thing that might happen?" Often the answer can help you see with more wisdom and help you realise it isn't as bad as you think.

No comments: