Puppy's mum says: Why do dogs bark?

How might Puppy's Mum be able to help you?

Pharaoh Hound Information
http://www.facebook.com/platform

Do you have a dog, and have questions about how to keep your dog happy? Is your new puppy having trouble settling in? Are you looking for a new puppy and aren't sure where to look?

I would love to help you with any of these issues, and more. My husband and I have bred many puppies over the last twenty years, and every puppy born at our home is important to us. Whether the puppy became a show dog or a much loved pet, it always remained 'our' puppy to some extent. We always cared about the wellbeing of that puppy.

I would love to be there for you too, if you have a new dog or pup, or if you're thinking of getting one, I would love to help you make the right choices for yourself, your family and for your puppy or dog.

Ask a question on this website, or make a comment. I'll answer you, I am here for you.


Jun 12, 2008

Why do dogs bark?

Right now, I have three dogs inside with me, the rest of them outside. There are two dogs that barked within the last minute. They were both dogs currently outside. Why did they bark?
Kharis was at the door with his whinging let me in please bark. I know why he was barking. He knows that eventually he will be let back inside, and if he whines enough, he'll be let in sooner. Why does he know this? Because past experience has taught him that.
I'm OK with him barking like that, becuse he's a great dog and I love him dearly.
The other dog that barked was, I think Ananka, also a Pharaoh Hound. I think it's a fair bet that she was barking because she saw something. Pharaoh Hounds look at things a lot. More than Schnauzers do. PH's are constantly on the move, looking for things to chase and eat. They live to chase, just like a greyhound does.
Schn, on the other hand, do keep watch, but they're not as manic about it. Schn will chase things, but it's a bit of fun, not a near lifetime necessity. Ananka probably takes it to extremes though, Kharis doesn't chase anywhere as much as her.
He does have the chase instict more than a Schn though - this was proven when one time both Kharis and Ananka got loose with one of the Schn.
They all headed for our neighbour's fence, where their poultry are kept. I called and called all of the dogs, but only the Schn came back to me. I patted her and told her what a good girl she was, then locked her up safely, grabbed two leads and set about catching the PHs. It was not too hard, because they were so focussed on the chooks they paid me no attention - I could put leads on them with them hardly noticing. The hard bit was dragging them away!

No comments: